Skip to main content

My Primary News Sources

In 2020, I feel I am not alone in my complex and confusing relationship with the news. Frankly, my resentful, Jon Stewart-esque disposition toward traditional news media has been gradually building for quite a while. Finding the truth in a journalistic landscape overrun by sensationalized exaggerations, biases, hidden agendas, misleading oversimplifications, and outright falsehoods rapidly becomes a task so draining, so infuriating, that it becomes easiest to just not attempt it in the first place. This phenomenon reached a personal breaking point with the COVID-19 pandemic – a topic which I have a specific, excessive sensitivity to/phobia around. News publishers across the world were (and still are) having an absolute field day with a global pandemic. People are confused, emotional, feeling vulnerable and needing answers; it’s like 9/11 every day, except now with “retweets” and Instagram “stories” continuing the incessant updates everywhere you go. The inability to escape the constant stream of often biased, anxiety-inducing, misleading, or otherwise divisive Coronavirus headlines quickly became too much to handle. So I said “screw it”; deleted my social media/news apps, and for the first time in months, remember feeling even brief moments of inner peace. 

 
Photo by Obi Onyeador on Unsplash

This wasn’t the first time I had done this, so it wasn’t the first time I experienced that surprising relieving of pent-up stresses I was either unaware of or simply used to. It was, however, the most powerful catharsis in memory, and whether that is a result of my since-increased age, experience, pressures/responsibilities, or a greater shift in society, it became immensely clear to me that something must change. Certainly, I’ve yet to find the magic bullet, as avoiding the news entirely is as impractical as it is inadvisable, however I simply refuse to chip away at my mental health in exchange for merely keeping some apps on my phone. As a result, I’m writing this post in a bit of a peculiar situation – I actively avoidnews coverage, and I feel confident in saying that any sources I may have used years ago are too biased for me to go to now
 
That being said, I am still human, and so there are still applications for the news and news articles, albeit some rather niche. Of course, there are still times in my life where I want to know more about a specific event, situation, or idea; take the tragic explosion in Beirut, SpaceX’s “Starlink” project, or Kamala Harris being selected as Biden’s running mate as recent examples. These are concepts I’m already aware of (typically via word of mouth or texts), and essentially already know what kind of information one would have to sift through when trying to learn more. In such cases, I tend to use sources with relatively little bias, if sometimes a bit left-leaning, such as the Wall Street Journal or TIME and the BBC for both national and then global news respectively. I tend to trust the consistency and perspective of these publications, and they admittedly tend to be personally agreeable in their injections of opinion. 

 
Photo by visuals on Unsplash

The problem being, even when merely accessing these publications’ landing pages to retrieve the URLs to hyperlink, I was somehow still provided with a hundred new, anxiety-inducing ways the world is going to end next month! As previously described, it is this modern journalistic climate that has effectively shrunk my proactive news consumption to primarily publications with a specific focus. For example, I frequent Pigeons & PlanesGenius, and sometimes Complexat large to get my fix of music industry headlines and information. And despite my best efforts, I still encounter news regarding anything from foreign trade deals to Nintendo games across “pseudo-social” media sites like YouTube or Reddit. 
 
Ultimately, and to my dismay, I conclude just as confused and overwhelmed as I began. I absolutely recognize the responsibility of an active citizen to remain informed on issues past and present, and I certainly wouldn’t call myself “apolitical,” but attempting to sort through wave after wave of information dumps all fighting for your attention is emotionally and mentally exhausting. I don’t envy the position genuinely good journalists are in right now; truly just taking it in the jaw from both parties as a result of their peers’ shady practices. However, until consumers and publishers alike start to make a shift in the broken, damaging 24-hour news cycle, a healthy relationship with the media will continue to elude me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Growing Dangers of Media Consolidation

  Every week we see a new headline highlighting a new deal, acquisition, or merger of some big-name media companies. It’s nearly impossible to pin down an accurate map of these ownerships, as new deals are so frequently changing the corporate media landscape. Sometimes, especially in the short-term, these deals can appear to work out well for the consumer. More often, however, they can prevent innovation and competition at best, while outright undermining our democracy at worst.     http://frankwbaker.com/The%20big%20picture.jpg   There really is no more exemplary candidate than AT&T. I would wager that most people my age are unaware that AT&T was founded by none other than Alexander Graham Bell, originally being called the Bell Telephone Company. Bell gradually accrued market dominance by either  refusing to work with and/or buying out competitors , eventually rebranding to the American Telephone & Telegraph Company. Even after the formation of the Federal Communications C

Where did the Anti-War movement go?

Photo by  Stijn Swinnen  on  Unsplash   Being born in the year 2000 gives me an interesting, warped perspective on U.S. foreign occupancy and the concept of “war” in general.    Without a doubt, both the World Wars and the Vietnam War seem like some of the most hellish, gut-wrenching low points in human history. It’s really hard to overstate how disturbing it was learning about the conditions of these conflicts.  Operation Wandering Soul  was infamously used by the U.S. as a tactic of psychological warfare; content warning, listening to the “ ghost tapes ” can be genuinely disturbing. If you’ve got the time, here’s a captivating clip of a Vietnam vet recounting his experience oversees, and specifically how it differed from the narrative Americans were being fed back home:   In my mind, it’s quite understandable that such conflicts were met with passionate anti-war movements. When I look around now, however, there’s nearly  no  discussion of the concept. How did we get here? Where did a

The Rise of the Mixtape

  Engineer Lou Ottens. Image courtesy of  AD.nl   When the compact cassette first debuted, it wasn’t an entirely novel innovation. As its name might suggest, Lou Ottens sought to improve upon the bulky, often unreliable 1958 tape cassette system from RCA.     The inspiration for innovation came from perhaps the most human desire of all: convenience.  Phillips was interested in a potential market for a portable tape recorder, and after the speaker and batteries, the decreased dimensions hardly left room for the tape itself: a mere 2 x 4.5 inch space. To match the volumetric capacity of vinyl records, designers chose to, in the most analog way possible, compress the audio data in their novel tapes. By opting for a smaller stretch of tape per second of audio – 2 inches of tape compared to the then studio-standard 15 inches – the compact cassette traded some audio quality for the boost in portability.   Under pressure from Sony, Phillips allowed the Japanese tech giant license to produce h